As parents or trusted adult, it is important to teach your child the following:
NO FORCED AFFECTION
- Your child has the right to refuse an unwanted or uncomfortable touch. Never force a child to hug, sit on a lap or give affection.
- Your child has the right to tell anyone “NO”!
- Secrets can be harmful and if anyone asks them to keep a secret, they should tell you.
- NO ONE should touch your child’s private parts. Their private parts are the parts of their body covered by underwear (pant and vest). This includes EVERYONE; even parents, family members, older friends, cousins and nannies (try to demonstrate touching boundaries yourself).
- Use the real names for different parts of the body (e.g. leg, eyes, penis, vagina).
- It is OK for named trusted adults to touch at particular times, e.g. giving births or the doctor