To create a safe and happy childood for every Nigerian child, free from sexual abuse, with easy access to care, information, protection and emergency intervention.
Who we are?
Learn about the Cece Yara Foundation
The Cece Yara Foundation is a child-centred non-profit organisation established in 2016 to prevent child sexual abuse and to provide access to care, information, protection and emergency intervention for children who have experienced sexual abuse or who are at risk. The Foundation provides provides psycho-social, legal and medical support for children through a 24-hour free child telephone helpline (0800 800 8001) and its child-friendly Child Advocacy Centre based in Gbagada, Lagos, at a time when government research estimates the occurrence of childhood sexual violence in Nigeria to be as high as one in four girls and one in ten boys.
The Foundation’s multi-disciplinary team of counsellors, social workers, child advocates, lawyers and forensic interviewers, collaborate with government agencies and partners involved in the investigation, intervention and prosecution in child sexual abuse cases, in order to provide a coordinated response to children, in line with best practice. The Centre has also established outreach educational programs on prevention awareness for children, and specialised programs to educate adults on how to protect children from sexual abuse.
Preventing child abuse through community empowerment and support.
Our Objectives & Values
- Providing a free 24-hour helpline for children experiencing sexual abuse or who are at risk, or have suffered abuse with a listening ear, counseling or referral services.
- Providing children who have suffered abuse with legal, medical and specialized psychosocial support, free of charge, and providing safe, neutral, child friendly and supportive environments for children we serve;
- Providing a multi-disciplinary team approach to assist with the investigation, intervention and prosecution of child abuse.
- Providing an extensive outreach program to schools and community which includes a variety of prevention services, education on child abuse dynamics and information on healthy child rearing practices.
- Empowering adults in the community to protect children aged 0-18 years old from sexual abuse by teaching them how to prevent and recognise child sexual abuse and how to react responsibly.
- Strengthening the existing support structures and institutions of child protection services through advocacy and collaboration.
- The welfare of a child or young person will always be paramount; at Cece Yara, we are safe, caring and attentive adults.
- The welfare of families will be promoted, the rights, wishes and feelings of children, young people and their families will be respected and listened to.
- Best interest of the Child: The people in positions of responsibility within Cece Yara work in accordance with the interests of children and young people and our organisational policies.
- Equal opportunities: The people in positions of responsibility within Cece Yara will ensure that the same opportunities are available to the children we serve and that all differences between individuals will be treated with respect.
- Partnership is at the core of our service delivery; we seek to collaborate across the stakeholder matrix of government, civil society and community to ensure that children are provided with support they need.
- Accountability: We work with resolve, ensuring optimal use of our resources, and we are empowered to be action oriented.